Fexibility...

Fexibility...
Using my flexibility will help my dance flow better and will help in deepening my movements.

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Bartenieff Fundamentals (Laban Movement Analysis)...

Today I worked with Core-Distal Connectivity, which looked at the related six points in the body; Tailbone, head, both arms and both legs. These are all connected throughout the body, but they have their own individuality.

With this in mind we were put into three's and were asked to lie grounded to the floor and feel the breath in the body. We were then told to each place the hands on each others stomach's and feel the breath inhale and then exhale whilst brushing down each of these six connected limbs to feel the energy flow out of them. This made the limbs feel extended but also relaxed.

When I began the improvisation task I kept in mind about breathing to begin and obtain my deepened movement, but also put to test that all of the six limbs in this principle need to stay active and look lively. As I was moving I started by constantly thinking; which limb have I not used much of? Which limb needs to move next? What can I do to make it more interesting?But then after a while of experimenting with this, I relaxed into it easier and my limbs moved together as I tried to co-ordinate and distort my body to make it look more aesthetically pleasing.

Widening my limbs helps me to use all of the space and travel further whilst still grounding myself into the floor. Using the spine and core helps to mobilise the body and shift me into various positions quicker as it makes it easier to flow through the motions making it fluid and 'liquidy'. 

As well as looking at the inward focus of the body (core, spine and breath) I was looking at the outward focus (energy and presence in the space). Using both the inward and outward focus made my dancing more expressive, as I would use movements that influence me to dance through a motivated and energised state.

Thinking about all of this information of what motivates me to move all of my limbs and breathe through my dancing, I was able to take more risks in lengthening my movements whilst suspending and broadening the range/ability of movement I have to give.

Points I will consider:
  • Next time I am in class I will try to cover the wider range of movements that I am naturally able to do.
  • I will also try to push the boundaries myself and challenge my own limits.
  • I will use the energies in my breath to help my movements flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment